21 June 2010

Gaston Rahier

It must have been about 1975?

Dad asked what I wanted to do for one of my birthdays, I was mad on motorcycles, I really wanted to see the hyped up motocross that had been bantered about Christchurch at the time, so some friends and me all jammed into the car and out to Banks Peninsula.

It was a cool spot out in the middle of nowhere... people, tents and flags, the sweet smell of 2 stroke in the air...

The main push in advertising for the event was Gaston Rahier... He was three time FIM World Champion in the 125cc division, titles in 1975, 1976 and 1977. Later he went on to race in and win the famous Paris-Dakar rally with BMW motorcycles, in 1984 and 1985, I never got near him!

Pretty sure Gaston was brought out to NZ by the Suzuki factory itself, he was accompanied by another Suzuki sponsored rider. Pretty sure Tommy’s Suzuki was involved, I scored some posters and from then all us local boys all wanted motocross bikes...




Gaston Rahier 1947 – 2005

The poster from my day at the motocross... with a Tommy’s stamp in the corner.



Love the head gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment